Thermocyclers - Your opinion

Sebastian Bunka Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at
Fri Jul 24 04:02:58 EST 1998

Smoothies <channels at sghms.ac.uk> wrote:
> We are considering buying a new thermocycler.
> We use PCR for cloning purposes, routinely but not on a large scale.
> I am after opinions on your favourite thermocycler(s) ie: what model,
> and why.

We use the Perkin Elmer geneamp 2400 system (3 years old) and it is
running w/out problems. 24 tubes, heated lid, oil free operation
cooling/heating rate very fast, graphical display. But the best ist
that this thing can cool to 4 degC !! (keeps your PCR reactions cool
overnight, cool down your RT reaction, ligate at 14 degC, and much
more). I love that! Most other cyclers I've seen
can cool down only to room temp +3 degC.

Just my personal opinion!

SWB

--
Sebastian Bunka, Dr. med. vet
Inst. Med. Chemistry, Vet. University Vienna
e-mail: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at