Thermocyclers - Your opinion

Bernard Murray bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Mon Jul 27 19:11:15 EST 1998

In article <6pip1t$g3a$1 at fremont.ohsu.edu>, nishir at ohsu.edu (Rae Nishi) wrote:

> In article <6p9ik2$sjp at cantine.wu-wien.ac.at>
> Sebastian Bunka <Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at> writes:
>
> > We use the Perkin Elmer geneamp 2400 system (3 years old)...
[snip]
> >... But the best ist
> > that this thing can cool to 4 degC !! Most other cyclers I've seen
> > can cool down only to room temp +3 degC.
>
> I have heard that even if it does cool to 4 degrees, that it is not a
> good idea to have the machine try to sustain that temperature for long
> periods of time (eg., overnight).  It is supposed to cause more wear
> and tear on the machine because it is actually designed to sustain
> temperatures higher than room temp most of the time and uses the
> cooling for achieving rapid changes in temperature, not to keep things
> below room temp.  Is this true??

I can't confirm/deny the truth of this but can only say that
I've been in a lab where a PE480 and a couple of PE9600's were
heavily used and were routinely left on 4degC soak overnight.
No problems (or at least problems associated with the heater/cooler)
developed.  YMMV, of course.
     Bernard
--
Bernard Murray, PhD