cos7 cells

karen straube-west straubek at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU
Tue Jun 2 12:41:11 EST 1998

Hi,

This may not be the source of your colleague's problem, but I recently
had an extended conversation with a salesperson from Krackler concerning
the Corning/Costar merger. It seems that there is no rhyme or reason to
which facilities are making which type of plates, flasks, etc. This came
up because someone in our lab ordered new 96 well plates and suddenly
had lots of dead and floating cells. It turns out that, in this case,
the new plates were supplied from Costar and she had used Corning (or
vice versa, I can't remember), even though it wasn't obvious in the
catalog. They were able to supply her with enough of the old plates so
that she could finish up her current experiments (for her thesis, no
less!). We were also informed that we have not been the only ones with
this problem.

I have myself noticed that certain cell types are very finicky with
regard to the type of dish, flask, or even coverslip they will grow on.
Cells that grow well on Corning plates, for example, may not do well on
Costar or Falcon plates. The reasons aren't always clear, however some
manufacturing processes can leave behind residue that the cells don't
like. Your colleague may wish to check to see if they have recently
received new shipments of plasticware that could be the source of the
problem.

--
Karen Straube-West, Ph.D.
VA Medical Center