Immunodetection of 40-50kDa proteins

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Tue Jun 2 02:18:01 EST 1998

Hi Monika,
I had best results by covalently coupling the antibodies to protein-A
sepharose before IP, using DMP (dimethyl-pimelimidate). They can´t elute from
the column then.
Plain simple, and works very reproducibly. That´s how:

1. prepare affinity-purified antibodies (by an antigen column), or
IgG-fraction (by chromatography over protein A sepharose).
2. incubate your antibody with protein A sepharose (2h to overnight at RT) in
any buffer that´s suitable for western blots (e.g. TNT, TBST...). The ratio of
antibody to volume sepharose can be varied. A good starting point is 1ug per
10ul of sepharose. I usually prepare between 200ul and 1ml of antibody-column
in one batch, that´s handy.
3. wash well with binding buffer.
4. wash well with borate buffer (200mM, pH 9.0) to remove all amine-containing
buffer substances, e.g. Tris, that would inhibit coupling. Use at least
50volumes of borate buffer for washing. Washing is best done in a disposable
plastic column, e.g. a poly-prep column (biorad). Perform next steps also in column.
5. resuspend sepharose in 10 volumes of borate buffer.
6. add solid DMP (Sigma) to a final concentration of 20mM, mix immediately,
let stand for 30min at RT.
7. drain well.
8. repeat step 5 to 7, but incubate for only 5min.
9. wash well again in borate buffer.
10. add 2 volumes of 1M Tris to quench coupling reaction, incubate for 2h with
gentle mixing.
11. wash in buffer for IP (or TNT, TBST...)
12. mock-elute sepharose with 200mM NaCl, 200mM Glycine, pH 2.0 to remove all
non-covalently bound IgGs.
13. repeat step 11 until neutral.
14. store at 4C with traces of merthiolate. Stable for several months
15. Use for IP.

Hope this helps,
Frank