bisulphite chemical modification

Dr. A. Ryan a.ryan at mds.qmw.ac.uk
Tue Jun 2 16:48:14 EST 1998

I wish to bisulphite treat a small (10-50ng) sample of DNA for
X-chromosome inactivation analysis. However, when I follow the methods
quoted in:

HERMAN_JG, JEN_J, MERLO_A, BAYLIN_SB CANCER RESEARCH, 1996, Vol.56,
No.4, pp.722-727,

I can only recover enough modified DNA if I start off with 10-100 X the
amount of starting material that I have available. Their methods work
fine in my hands, but only on lots of good quality DNA, not the piddling
little amounts of DNA that I have managed to extract from archival
paraffin sections. So....has anyone come across a small-scale bisulphite
chemical modification proceedure?

Thanks for any helpfull suggestions,

Andy

Dr. Andy Ryan