Contamination woes...HELP!

helen.turner at nri.org helen.turner at nri.org
Tue Jun 2 06:26:29 EST 1998

In article <6kum38$qs0$1 at news1.bu.edu>,
  rkoedood at bu.edu (Marieke R. Koedood Zhao) wrote:

> I got that in my early PCR days. First PCR beautiful, next one all were
> positive. What aved me after that was not using the same pipets for setting
> up the reaction and analyzing the product. Also set up my reactions
> on a different bench (or even lab) as the one where I analyze the PCR product.
>
> Marieke

I quite agree that keeping separate sets of pipettes for PCR set-up
and analysis is a good idea.  If this is not possible, then do at least
try to ensure that:

a) set-up and analysis are carried out as far from
each other as possible (separate rooms is best !) and

b) use tips with filters in, to prevent sucking up DNa
into the pipette or expelling contaminants already present into new PCR
reactions.

In the meantime, bleach your benchtops and decontaminate your pipettes with
UV.

Helen.