question about using formaldehyde containing methanol in gels for Northern Blots

Tue Jun 2 19:10:13 EST 1998

At 06:35 PM 6/2/98 -0400, Michael Vagell wrote:
>I recently bought some 37% Formaldehyde from Fisher (Biotech Division) and I
>noticed that the bottle says that it contains 10-15% methanol as a
>preservative. Does anyone know if I can use this kind of formaldehyde in a
>RNA gel for a Northern Blot?
>
>Michael Vagell, Ph.D.
>Box 1007, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
>One Gustave L. Levy Place
>New York, NY 10029-6574
>USA

Methanol is in all the available formaldehyde (37-40%) bottles. It is a
stabilizer and does not affect RNA gels adversely.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003