Stable Amino Acid Derivative for HPLC?

Phil Calvert calvert at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 3 16:19:05 EST 1998

There a number of methods available for derivatizing amino acids and
analyzing them by reverse-phase HPLC on a C18 column.  Unfortunately, many
of these derivatives are not very stable.  Obviously, they are stable
enough for analytical purposes.  But I am interested in doing preparative
HPLC and isolating the purified amino acid derivatives; so if the
derivatives aren't very stable, that sort of defeats the purpose.

I would like to use a UV detector for detecting the derivatized amino
acids.  Therefore, derivatives that are UV-absorbing (including fluorescent
derivatives) are preferred (provided that they are stable).  Anyone know of
any derivatives that fit these qualifications?

Phil Calvert

--