Kieselgel 60 for Merlin DNA preps

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jun 4 03:45:44 EST 1998

Hi all,
I´d like to try some Merlin type DNA preps in the next future. In the archive
postings, Kieselgel 60 has been reported to be the best.
In those days (late ´94), people used Kieselgel 60 from Merck, no.7729). Now
I´m having problems in finding a supplier of Kieselgel 60. I can´t find it in
the catalogue from Merck (printed edition, "biochemica"), nor in their
webpage. I tried searching the webpage for the name (both "kieselgel" and
"silica gel"), as well as the product number. No hits. Ok, they might have
changed the product number since, but I can hardly believe they dont sell the
stuff any more.
So: Is there anyone out there who uses Kieselgel 60 for merlin preps, and can
tell me where to get the stuff? Otherwise, I´d give Diatomaceous Earth (Sigma
D 5384) a try, if there are no objections. Or have other good alternatives
come up since 94?

TIA,
Frank