competent cells again!!

Richard P. Grant see_sig at
Thu Jun 4 02:10:11 EST 1998

In article <6l4qb0$8rj at>, wgschech at wrote:
: Your aldehyde theory sounds reasonable. Have you ever put your nose
: into a bottle of autoclaved glycerol? Probably some glycerol cleaves
: off water and turns into acrolein (a toxic lachrymator when
: exposed to in higher concentrations). At least it smells alike.

Wa-ay off topic, but this reminds me of an "A"-level chemistry practical
(I guess that's high school equivalent - 16 - 18 y.o.).  Take glycerol,
reflux with Mg carbonate (I think).  After about 15 minutes, I was the
first to get a yield.  Cautious sniff, WHOOF!  Staggered back against the
bench.  Next lad got a yield, he was on the floor.  "lachrymator"?  Yeah,
and the rest.  Can't remember the LD50 but something fairly scary.

Chemistry is bad for your health.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil  | rgrant at
Senior R&D Scientist       | work:
Cambridge Molecular        | home:
      -- Standard corporate disclaimers apply --