what's a molecular biology major really like?

lshatkin at my-dejanews.com lshatkin at my-dejanews.com
Thu Jun 4 15:32:24 EST 1998

What is it really like to be in a molecular biology major?  What makes it
different from other majors, OTHER THAN the expected career outcomes?  When
students are thinking about choosing or changing a major, what should they
know about the ones they're considering?

Educational Testing Service is conducting a research study of the
characteristics of college majors in the United States and Canada.  If you
have experience with a two-year, four-year, or certification program --
perhaps as a recent alumnus/a, an upper-division student, an instructor, a
departmental administrator, or an academic advisor -- you can help this study
by completing a survey.  Perhaps you can also forward this message to one or
more other people whose expertise would be relevant to the same or another
major.

You can complete the survey instrument any of these ways:

(1) Complete the on-line version of the survey by following the link at
http://www.ets.org/research/majintro.html  (If your newsreader supports HTML,
see the hotlink at the end of this message.)

(2) Go to the same Web page and follow the link to download a copy of the
survey.  Then print it, complete the paper copy, and fax it to me, Laurence
Shatkin, at 609-497-6025, or mail it to me at Mail Stop 18-R, Educational
Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541.

(3) E-mail lshatkin at ets.org with your snail-mail address and request one or
more paper copies of the survey instrument.  I'll send them together with
postage-paid return envelopes.

You may duplicate this survey instrument and use it to conduct research on
majors for your own purposes.  However, it is copyrighted by ETS, so first
complete the ETS Permissions Request Form -- Research, which is linked to the
Web page referred to above.  I would also appreciate your sharing your
findings with me.

The data-gathering will be concluded by the end of summer 1998, and the
results will be compiled in the autumn.  I will present a summary of my
findings on the ETS Research Web pages (http://www.ets.org/research).

If you have any questions, please send e-mail to me directly at
lshatkin at ets.org, or phone me at 609-734-5868.

Laurence Shatkin
Development Scientist
Educational Testing Service

(If your newsreader supports HTML, you can <A
HREF="http://www.ets.org/research/majintro.html">jump right to the
survey</A>.)

lshatkin at ets.org
Educational Testing Service