RNA preps - looking for suggestions

Theo Thijs theo.thijs at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Jun 8 08:06:22 EST 1998

If you don't care about the RNA yield why don't you try TriZol buffer?
    Matthew L. Beyers wrote in message <35794891.BC6CC3D7 at achilles.net>...
    Hello all,
    I'm currently doing GITC/Phenol/Chloroform RNA preps using Corex #8445 30 ml tubes and doing my spins at 10,000 RPM in a Sorvall SA-600 rotor.

    I'm having a bit of a problem though in that sometimes the tubes shatter during the spin, meaning that I lose all of my sample.  I've called Fisher and they've said that the people that make Corex (Corning?) have discontinued that tube and that there is no replacement available.

    I was hoping that someone out there would have an idea for a substitute for these tubes that is reasonably easy to see through (like the glass of Corex) able to withstand phenol and chloroform and the high (~16,000 RCF) g forces necessary.  Any ideas?

    Thanks a bunch,

    Matt