PCR of Blood after Microwave-treating

Robert DeLisio QuintMark at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 8 22:32:11 EST 1998

How were the blood samples collected/stored? If the blood samples were
treated with Heparin prior to amplification then that is a potential source
of your problem. Heparin has been shown (F. Poli, et al. PCR Methods and
Reagents Vol. 2 pp. 356-358 ) to be a strong PCR inhibitor. The
aforementioned article also gives a method for its removal.

Regards,
Bob DeLisio