How does bleach kill DNA?

Robert DeLisio QuintMark at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 8 21:41:14 EST 1998

See A. M. Prince, L. Andrus  PCR: How to kill unwanted DNA  Biotechniques
Vol. 12, No. 3(?) pp 358-360

In summary, they found that treatment with 2.5% v/v clorox caused extensive
nicking of DNA.10% Clorox was found to prevent PCR amplification of a 600-bp
segment within one minute of template treatment. And 2N HCl did not destroy
DNA detectable by PCR even after a five minute exposure.

Regards,
Bob DeLisio