Stable Amino Acid Derivative for HPLC?

Roger Murphy murphy_r at
Mon Jun 8 19:57:03 EST 1998

Fmoc derivatives of amino acids are very stable, hence their use in peptide
synthesis.  You also have a high absorbing chromophore for good sensititvity.
Fmoc derivatization is also now the basis of a number of commercial amino acid
analysis systems.

In article <calvert-ya02408000R0306981719050001 at>,
calvert at (Phil Calvert) wrote:
>There a number of methods available for derivatizing amino acids and
>analyzing them by reverse-phase HPLC on a C18 column.  Unfortunately, many
>of these derivatives are not very stable.  Obviously, they are stable
>enough for analytical purposes.  But I am interested in doing preparative
>HPLC and isolating the purified amino acid derivatives; so if the
>derivatives aren't very stable, that sort of defeats the purpose.
>I would like to use a UV detector for detecting the derivatized amino
>acids.  Therefore, derivatives that are UV-absorbing (including fluorescent
>derivatives) are preferred (provided that they are stable).  Anyone know of
>any derivatives that fit these qualifications?
>Phil Calvert
>!-----------Phil Calvert-----------!
>!---calvert.NoSpam at!
>NOTE:  If present, the phrase ".NoSpam" must be removed from my
>return address before sending your reply.

Roger Murphy, Ph.D.
Biological Production Facility
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
Austin & Repatriation Medical Centre