co-immuno-precipitation

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Wed Jun 10 15:17:54 EST 1998

In article <357ED08F.6A74E887 at ccc.uab.edu>,
xianghuai lu  <xianghuai.lu at ccc.uab.edu> wrote:

>100 KD (Ap2). It looks like I can use larger one to bring down smaller
>one but not the other way around. The other way is what we wanted. Does
>anyone have an better idea to do IP or any tricks?

Co-IPs are always tricky, and there are no guaranteed rules.  The first
thing to play with is your detergent, the second is your antibody (if
possible).  For detergents, digitonin is probably the least likely to
disrupt a complex; CHAPS is next, then perhaps NP40 and/or deoxycholate.
Don't use SDS unless you have a honkin' strong interaction.  Start with
low salt, though it's not impossible that medium- or high-salt will work
as well or better.

Good luck.

Ian