Microplate Reader

bioeng at technologist.com bioeng at technologist.com
Thu Jun 11 10:47:43 EST 1998

In article <357DA1DA.93F0541F at osu.edu>,
  " Arnold N. DuBell" <dubell.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> Our department is considering purchasing a microplate reader for a
> variety of uses.  I've looked at a number of companies' products already
> (posted on the web), but am curious if anyone has suggestions.  I know
> it probably isn't possible, but we'd like to do UV, fluorescence, and
> luminescence (although on all the instruments I've seen so far, this
> option is separate from the other two.   Is there a physical reason for
> this, or is it just market economics)?
>
> Any and all help will be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Arnold DuBell
> dubell.1 at osu.edu

I have worked with a number of manufacture instruments when I was a service
engineer. The main reason I believe for different instruments for
luminescence fluorescence and photometric reading is the detection system,
dispensing and plate transportation the unit.

Luminometers use a Photo multiplier tube for light measurement whilst a
photometric reader will typically use photodiodes as they are far cheaper.
For this reason luminometers and flouresnce readers can only read one well at
a time whilst a photomentric reader can afford to have 8 or 12 photodiodes in
an array and read a plate in rows or columns.

Luminometer require quick dispensing in the unit before a read e.g. flash &
glow reactions, photometric & fluorescence do not necessarily require
dispensing unless in a automated system with plate washers and dispensers.

The Anthos Lucy luminometer can also do photometric reads.
The Dynex range is ok and fairly priced.