potato phenolics question

Marek Nelke MNELKE at IMAIL.NSAC.NS.CA
Fri Jun 12 08:20:57 EST 1998

Dear netters!

I am a post-doc who was asked  to start project dealing with
elimination of after cooking darkening of proccessed potato using
molecular biology techniques. I have problem with  it from the start.
After quite intensive studies of literature in the field my
understanding is that after-cooking darkening in potato is
non-enzymatic chain of chemical reactions. Am I wrong? So there is no
genes involved in darkening, just during the cooling of boiled potato
air oxygen oxidases chlorogenic acid to quinones which are
transformed into melanins. Are any enzymes involved in pigment
formation from quinones? I can not knock out polyphenol oxidase by
antisense RNA for example because after-cooking darkening is
non-enzymatic reaction. Is it something wrong with me or elimination
of after-cooking darkening proccessed potato can not be achieve by
molecular biology approach? I would really appreciate your response
and maybe some advice because I am really lost.
Please, respond  to my E-mail address ( MNelke at IMail.nsac.ns.ca )

							Cheers,  Marek
Marek Nelke
Nova Scotia Agricultural College
Department of Plant Science