Beta-Lactamase Assay

benedik benedik at uh.edu
Mon Jun 15 16:18:03 EST 1998

In article <35856D38.137F at uidaho.edu>
Kajetan Groicher <groi9663 at uidaho.edu> writes:

> Hello all-
>
> I am in need of information regarding a simple assay for Beta-LActamase
> production by bacterial cultures.
>
> I have been told that Glaxo used to make a chromogenic type assay but I
> have been unable to locate it.
>
> I have also heard of an iodine based assay which is supposedly quite
> rapid.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kajetan

the chromogenic compound is called Nitrocefin, I think it is still
available somewhere, but it was very very expensive last time I
checked.

You can also just measure the loss of absorbance at 240nm of a solution
of any baeta-lactam like  ampicillin or penicillin. We usually use
0.75mg/ml ampicillin.

Michael Benedik
Department of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston