Beta-Lactamase Assay

Szatmari George szat at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Wed Jun 17 10:20:25 EST 1998

Kajetan Groicher (groi9663 at wrote:
: Hello all-
: I am in need of information regarding a simple assay for Beta-LActamase
: production by bacterial cultures.
: I have been told that Glaxo used to make a chromogenic type assay but I
: have been unable to locate it.

Nitrocefin - now sold by BBL, I believe.

: I have also heard of an iodine based assay which is supposedly quite
: rapid.

The reference is: Rapid identification of Escherichia coli transformed by pBR322 carrying inserts at the PstI Site.
     Anal Biochem. 1982 May 1; 122(1): 85-88.
:authors are Boyko and Ganshow.

szat at