HOT-Start-PCR: How do I make wax

Parent, Eric ParentE at dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Wed Jun 17 07:44:01 EST 1998

Currently, I try to enhance my RT-PCR method by doing Hot-Start-PCR.
But the manual method (pipetting a key reagent) is not very
practical, especially when you want to run many reactions at the same
time.
Therefore I want to use wax as an separator of my PCR-Components.
But as you may know, commercial waxes as AmpliWax (R) or others are
extremely
expensive ($80 and more for 200 Pieces). Also, anti-taq-antibodies
are much to expensive, too. So I have following QUESTION:
Has anybody made these wax-pellets manually? What materials, beside
paraffine, do I use?

I=B4ll be very thankful for any suggestions

Jochen.

You can look at a paper in Biotechniques;  AmpliGrease: "Hot Start" PCR
Using Petroleum Jelly  vol. 16, No. 1 (1994) page 42-43

Hope it helps

Eric

Eric Parent=20
Invertebrates and experimental
biology division                             =20
Fisheries and Oceans Canada=09
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute
Mont-joli, Qc
Canada