HOT-Start-PCR: How do I make wax?

jockers jockers at student.uni-kl.de
Wed Jun 17 07:21:45 EST 1998

Currently, I try to enhance my RT-PCR method by doing Hot-Start-PCR.
     But the manual method (pipetting a key reagent) is not very
practical, especially when you want to run many reactions at the same
time.
     Therefore I want to use wax as an separator of my PCR-Components.
But as you may know, commercial waxes as AmpliWax (R) or others are
extremely
     expensive ($80 and more for 200 Pieces). Also, anti-taq-antibodies
are much to expensive, too. So I have following QUESTION:
     Has anybody made these wax-pellets manually? What materials, beside
paraffine, do I use?

     I´ll be very thankful for any suggestions

     Greetings, Jochen Jockers, Germany