ISH control

Richard Vernell rjv at riker.neoucom.edu
Thu Jun 18 21:43:44 EST 1998

My question is:

What is the best control for in situ hybridization with RNA probes.  Is an
irrelavent probe as valid as the sense probe?  I will be hybridizing many
different probes and wondered if i could use one control such as the multiple
cloning region of pBluescript.  This should control for nonspecific
binding of RNA to the tissue sections, espececially if i also include
pretreatment with RNase as a control .  I do not see the reason for
making sense probes for each cDNA.  Please enlighten me... especially with
respect to the opinions of reviewers on this matter.  Thank you.

Rich Vernell

Graduate Student