Electrophoresis safety question

Fri Jun 19 11:07:48 EST 1998

>Jen,
>
>I'm not a molecular biologist, so I don't know what types of safety hazards
>are considered severe in your lab, but I noticed a few misunderstandings
>about electrical shocks in some of the replies you've received, so I thought
>I should point them out.....
<snip>...

>Given this information, I would say that running open gels with 100V @ 3A
>power supplies consitutes an extremely dangerous hazard.
>

>---Gary Snethen

Thank you, Gary, for the informative response. I had, since my early
graduate school days, known better than to run electrophoresis without the
lid and to leave the leads hanging out from the power supply between runs.
My High School physics lessons had been enough to provide the rudimentary
comprehension of the workings of electricity. I hope that the Molecular
Biology community and the students working in the labs would try and be more
respectful of this very "household" force.

Hiranya.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University