Codon usage in baculovirus system

Brian Cohen cohen at wadsworth.org
Fri Jun 19 13:51:16 EST 1998

We've been using sf9 cells to produce site directed mutants, making
alanine triplets using GCG for the alanine codon.  Subsequently. we've
observed decreased production of the mutant proteins relative to wild
type protein levels from the same system.  One hypothesis is that GCG
may be a rare codon for alanine in this system, and therefore, the cells
are having trouble producing the protein.  Has anyone else noticed this
problem?  Do you think co-transfection of an ala-tRNA for the GCG codon
would help?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Brian

--
Brian D. Cohen, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Reproductive and Metabolic Disorders
cohen at wadsworth.org