Removal of CTAB (cationic detergent) from proteins

tonyho s970856 at CUHK.EDU.HK
Mon Jun 22 20:20:24 EST 1998

Hi, everybody

Does anyone know how to remove CTAB (cetyltrimethylammonium bromide - a
cationic detergent) from protein sample? My desired protein in the cells is
cationic, hence requiring CTAB (0.3% in normal saline) to lyse the cells &
granules for release of the protein. Also CTAB acts as a surfactant to
prevent non-specific binding of my cationic protein to the inner surface of
container.

CTAB itself can react with Coomassie Blue in the Bradford protein assay to
give an over-estimation of total protein concentration. Does anybody know
how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot if u can solve my headache problems

Tony Ho (Ph. D student from CUHK)