re-posting of newsgroup on the web

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jun 22 16:47:27 EST 1998

Hello all, hello Bill Hearl from KPL!

I'm concerned about the service offered from KPL.

All bionet postings yet may be searched an retrieved through the WWW
at http://www.bio.net/hypermail/
the methods and reagents board at
http://www.bio.net/hypermail/METHDS-REAGNTS/

It seems to me that KPL is exploiting the BIONET for commercial
purposes by offering this somehow edited list. What does 'relevant
articles' mean? Who decides about the value of a posting? I feel
bad when my and other's contributions to the newsgroup (NG) are used
for attracting customers to KPLs WWW pages. The 'spam free' argument
does not count for me since spam is not a problem in this NG.

Simultaneously, on many BIONET pages there is still unfilled space
for ads, and probably there still is a big need for funding the
people investing time and energy for maintaining this great means of
communication and also for providing the technical equipment for
keeping BIONET alive.

Since advertisements in this NG are absolutely unwelcome, I barely
imagine that this approach by KPL coincides with the newsgroup's
policy. (In contrary, no objection would be made on a
link on KPLs pages pointing to the molbio board).

This topic is open for discussion
contribute your pros and cons!

Wolfgang Schechinger
Univesity of Tuebingen,
Germany

> We are trying out a new service at our web site which re-posts ONLY
> relavent scientific messages on a weekly basis.  All messages are
> copied, unedited, to a dated web page for quick scanning.
> Hopefully, future efforts will include an index and a search engine.
>  The page can be found at:
>
> http://www.kpl.com
>
> I welcome any comments you have on the utility of such a web page.
> Thanks! Bill Hearl billh at kpl.com

-----
usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de * wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm