Preservation of nematodes for later PCR

Jörgen Ullberg m60ju21b at students.su.se
Tue Jun 23 15:25:59 EST 1998

Hello all!

I will soon start collecting nematodes to do population genetic and
ecology studies on marine, free living nematodes from the Baltic Sea. I
have searched the archives for a method to preserve the specimens until
needed for PCR (RAPD or most probably, AFLP) but have only seen
references to formaldehyde which does not seem to be an optimal method.
I am therefore asking for tips on, or referenses to protocols dealing
with preservation of nematodes for later extraction of DNA. When I am at
it, also references on extraction protocols of DNA from such preserved
specimens.

Thanks in advance
Jörgen

Jörgen Ullberg				phone:	+ 46 (0)8 164001
Dept.of Zoology				fax:	+ 46 (0)8 167715
Stockholm University			e-mail:	m60ju21b at students.su.se
106 91 STOCKHOLM
SWEDEN