Hot start wax beads

Alastair Hamilton ah8 at stir.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 19:42:50 EST 1998

Hi Jochen,
An alternative to the beads is to pipette molten wax into the PCR tube
before use.  If you sit the tube on a balance it's possible to add a
fairly consistent amount to each tube.  I've never been able to get near
the accuracy of Ampliwax beads - I weighed a few out and they're spot on
- I guess that's what we're paying for.  I was able to get
reproducible results with RAPD's - not normally very forgiving of
pipetting errors - so I think my method is consistent enough for most PCR
applications, though its possible that impurities in the wax could create
problems in some cases - I was using everyday paraffin wax and I
believe ampliwax is considerably cleaner.
I replied to a similar question a while back and ABT sent me a sample of
their beads, so in fairness to them, I should say I tried them, they
worked fine and I understand that they are a cheaper option.

Alastair

Alastair Hamilton
Institute of Aquaculture
University of Stirling