Differential Display and minimizing false positives

Doug Perkins Doug.Perkins at mcmail.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jun 24 07:21:56 EST 1998

     Hello,
        I am preparing to try differential display (dd) with treated and
     untreated cells to look for differences in gene expression.  I have
     performed two exact cell experiments in parallel where I have treated
     the cells (experiment A consists of treated and untreated cells and B
     the same).  My question is:  Do you think it is best (for minimizing
     false positives) to perform dd on experiment A RNA with duplicates
     (ie; dd with treated and untreated twice) or with experiment A RNA and
     B RNA (the parallel experiment) ?  I guess I'm not sure if I should
     stick with one set of RNA and perform dupes or use/compare RNA from a
     different (parallel) experiment.  Any suggestions ?
                                                        Thanks,
                                                                Doug