DNA extraction from wing punches of bats?

Brandy Jacobsen fsbkt at AURORA.ALASKA.EDU
Mon Jun 29 12:43:31 EST 1998

I am trying to extract DNA from wing punches from bats.  We are trying
to identify species/determine phylogenetic relationships of bats
(Myotis) based on sequence from the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene.
The samples we have are preserved in EtOH, and are about 2mm X 2mm X 1mm
in size.  I have tried a standard salt extraction (with Proteinase K
digestion.) I have tried a Chelex extraction on the salt extraction and
also tried a chelex extraction with the tissue itself, but all with no
success.  I know it is not a PCR problem, as we already have sequence
from other Myotis extractions from frozen heart.

I was wondering if anyone out there has has success getting DNA from
wing punches from bats?  Or if anyone has any tips on working with such
a small sample.
Any response would be greatly appreciated!!

Brandy Jacobsen