Hot Start Wax Beads

Alastair Hamilton ah8 at stir.ac.uk
Tue Mar 3 17:49:09 EST 1998

Hi Duncan
Yes indeed! - I can confirm that trying to pipette molten wax accurately
is a shortcut to mental illness.  Even using a balance I've never
achieved better than +/-2% whereas Perkin Elmer's pellets are almost
spot on: better than +/- 0.3% I guess that's what we're paying for.
I really don't know if it needs to be this accurate: I went to all this
fuss because I was running RAPD's which can be quite sensitive to the
total volume in the tube.  I've found +/- 2% is close enough to give me
reproducible RAPD's so probably someone running a more forgiving PCR
could afford to be less meticulous.
Also I imagine PE's is purer than most: I got mine from the histology lab
next door -  it's the paraffin wax they embed tissue samples in for
cutting sections.  I've always heated it to 110C for an hour to get rid
of any volatiles, no doubt that will still leave a few things that
could conceivably affect a PCR, but thus far I've had no problems.

Regards
Alastair

Alastair Hamilton
Institute of Aquaculture