Ubiquitous primers

Allan Strand astrand at linum.cofc.edu
Wed Mar 4 09:55:10 EST 1998

"Wolfgang Schechinger" <wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Focus on the species you're interested in
> and grab all sequence data available on common and sequenced
> genes/proteins (polymerases, actin, ras, and so on) out of the
> databases. Then a series of alignments could reveal suitable primers
> for every candidate.
> Sorry, that's no easy way.
>
> What in the world do you want find out with this experiment?
>
> Wolfgang

Hi richard,

I thought that I had sent the message included below, but a dejanews
search reveals that I was wrong.  Hope it helps.  In particular, the
first paper outlines the same protocol that Wolfgang advocates and
includes references to possible software solutions, etc...

A.
=====
Richard ,

You don't say what kingdom you are interested in, but if it is the
plant kingdom, you might want to look at two papers:

@Article{strand:1997a,
  author = 	 "Strand, Allan E. and Leebens-Mack, James H. and
		  Milligan, Brook G.",
  title = 	 "Nuclear {DNA}-based markers for plant evolutionary biology",
  OPTcrossref =  "",
  OPTkey = 	 "",
  journal = 	 mol_ecol,
  year = 	 "1997",
  volume = 	 "6",
  number = 	 "",
  pages = 	 "113-118",
  OPTmonth = 	 "",
  note = 	 "",
  OPTannote = 	 "",
  keywords =  	 "nuclear DNA, genetic markers, PCR primer design"
}
journal = molecular ecology

@Article{taberlet:1991a,
  author = 	"Taberlet, Pierre and Gielly, Ludovic and Pautou, Guy
		and Bouvet, Jean",
  title = 	"Universal primers for amplification of three
		non-coding regions of chloroplast {DNA}",
  journal = 	pmb,
  year = 	"1991",
  volume = 	"17",
  OPTnumber = 	"",
  pages = 	"1105-1109",
  OPTmonth = 	"",
  OPTnote = 	""
}

journal=plant molecular biology

Allan E. Strand                Internet:   stranda at cofc.edu
Department of Biology          Phone:      (803) 953-8085
College of Charleston          Fax:        (803) 953-5453
Charleston, SC 29424