Horizontal gene transfer

Lars Andrup andrup at internet.dk
Mon Mar 9 04:17:15 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues,
Horizontal DNA transfer is, in my oppinion, not restricted to transfer
between species, genera etc., also the transfer within species or
subspecies (or two clones e.g. differing only in plasmid content) is
classified as horizontal DNA transfer.

Horizontal is in contrast to "vertical" transfer, which is the transfer of
DNA from parent-cell to "offspring" by cell-division.

yours

Lars

--
*********** ooo O ooo ***********
Lars Andrup, senior researcher

Joseph C. Bagshaw <jbagshaw at wpi.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.OSF.3.96.980307163504.11318A-100000 at bert.WPI.EDU>...
> Horizontal gene transfer refers to the transfer of genes or other DNA
> sequences by non-Mendelian mechanisms across species, genera or even
> greater phylogentic distances.  A classic example is leghemoglobin, a
gene
> very closely related to globin genes, but found only in leguminous
> plants.  There are other examples, such as histone genes in sea urchins,
> and Drosophila genes in lepidoptera.  The supposition is that these genes
> were transferred by some sort of vector, probably a virus, but there
realy
> is no good evidence on the transport mechanism.

> Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
> jbagshaw at wpi.edu
> Roadkill on the information superhighway.
>
> On 5 Mar 1998, Benan Dincturk wrote:
>
> > Will somebody give a gooddefinition of horizontal gene transfer?
Thanks.