transformation efficiency

R. John Lye rjl6n at
Wed Mar 18 17:16:08 EST 1998

Dom Spinella wrote:
> However, if you are planning to make your own
> compeptent cells, you will probably do better with electroporation.

I'll agree with this.  It is so much easier and cheaper to
make electrocompetent cells that I don't use chemically
competent cells at all anymore.  In side by side tests that
I did several years ago, electroporation was about 20 to 100
times more efficient than using chemically competent cells.
In both cases, I made the cells myself; neither type was
John Lye

e-mail to: rjl6n at Virginia.EDU