transformation efficiency

Frederik Boernke boernke at ipk-gatersleben.de
Wed Mar 18 20:05:35 EST 1998

Dom Spinella wrote:

> > Hi, all,
> >
> > Is electronic tansformation superior to the caliculum chlorid one? Is the
> > latter is enough for the most comman precedures? Thanks for any reply.
> >
> > chen linan
>
> Chen:
> I presume you are asking about the relative transformation efficiency of
> electroporation vs. chemical transformation of competent bacteria.  In
> my opinion, the current generation of commercially available
> ultra-competent cells gives superior transformation efficiency to
> electroporation.  However, if you are planning to make your own
> compeptent cells, you will probably do better with electroporation.
> Just my opinion, and I'll be curious to see what other respondents say.
> --Dom Spinella

Hi,

we never use electrocompetent cells for routine applications, such as
subcloning and stuff. They usually give us efficiencies around 10e7/ug
DNA which is, in my opinion, sufficient for most purposes. I only use
eloctrocompetent cells when transforming plasmids isolated from yeasts.
Chemically competent cells gave never any transformants in this case,
while electrocompetent ones always work fine.

Cheers
Ricky

Frederik Boernke
Research Group of  Molecular Plant Physiologie
Corrensstr. 3
06466 Gatersleben
Tel.  039482 -5 321
Fax. 039482 -5 515