PCR problem

Mr R.J. Parkes R.J.Parkes at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 09:43:40 EST 1998

	I have been trying to PCR a 2kb fragment from a phage clone I am
working with. I have done this succesfully in the past and amplified a
single band using a 2 min extension and 55 celsius annealing temp.
However now that I want to repeat this on the same template I get the
correct size band but with a smear and several faint bands. This smear
is across the size range of 2kb and above. Why am I suddenly getting
this smear when all the parameters are the same as before?

Thanks Richard