ligation of BIG inserts

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 03:20:37 EST 1998

In article <3517A276.DBF76072 at orion.rz.mdc-berlin.de>, Boris Jerchow
<bjerch at orion.rz.mdc-berlin.de> writes
>I'm having trouble ligating 10 to 20 kb inserts into Bluescript (sticky
>ends). I'd be happy if somebody could give me a hint about ligation and
>transformation procedures (any addition to standard ligation protocol,
>electroporation rather than chemical transformation, ...?).
>Many thanks in advance
>Boris Jerchow

It's probably not the ligation that is the problem but the capacity of
the E.coli for such a high copy vector with that size of insert. Reduce
your copy number by using pBR322 then if necessary go lower still ie
something based around pSC101. If that is still a no good then it could
be your insert is just lethal.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark