Anyone tried to make their own cDNA arrays?

Elizabeth E. LeClair Elizabeth.Leclair at MAIL.TJU.EDU
Tue Nov 3 10:37:18 EST 1998

 Dear Mol Bio folk,

 I'm trying this again (with a subject line this time).  Anyone tried making
their own cDNA arrays to detect expression of your favorite genes?  We are
interested in monitoring gene expression during embryonic development, and
most our targets are not represented in most of the commercially available
arrays or "chips."  I am also interested in mapping gene expression in
"non-model organisms" which are not represented in your
chick/mouse/human-based products. We have a lot of collected clones,
however, and we are toying with the idea of making our own micro slot-blots
and probing with radioactively labeled cDNAs.

  Specific questions are: how much cDNA to load in the array, how to
standardize amounts to get comparable signals from transcripts of different
length, what would be the best detection method and what are necessary
controls so we can interpret our data in a quantitative or semi-quantitative
manner.   I'm collecting a few  papers on the subject, and would love to
discuss them with anyone else interested.

cheers,
Beth

Elizabeth E. LeClair/Orthopaedic Research Laboratory
Thomas Jefferson University/501 Curtis Building
1015 Walnut St. Philadelphia, PA 19107 USA
ph: 215.955.5503 fx: 215.955.9159