Seeking info re hybridising

Dr. S. Shapiro toukie at zui.unizh.ch
Tue Nov 3 08:15:30 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues;

     I'm a little new to the nucleic acid field, so forgive my asking
what might be a simple-minded question.

     I am (in principle) able to generate a labelled NA probe, and I'd
like to survey a population of bacteria to determine whether this population
contains DNA complementary to this probe.  I seem to vaguely remember
reading that it is possible to apply whole-cell DNA to a special kind of
filter, then add your probe, wash, and then see whether the probe sticks
to the filter.  The idea is that if the little probe sticks, then it is
likely binding to a stand of complementary DNA.

     If anyone can suggest articles/books/reviews in which the above
procedure is described _in detail_ with examples, kindly contact me
directly at

                        toukie at zui.unizh.ch

with the relevant information.

     Thanking all responders in advance, I remain

Yours sincerely,

S. Shapiro
toukie at zui.unizh.ch