help about equilibrate phenol

paul lacy lacyp at unicorn.it.wsu.edu
Tue Nov 3 17:43:46 EST 1998

Gerd (gerdn at ibg.uit.no) wrote:
: Bethune international peace hospital wrote:
: >
: > Hi
: >  How to equilibrate phenol to a PH>7.8?
: >     We have equilibrate phenol for one week with Tris.Cl(1M,PH8.0),
: > but the PH of penol phase is still under 7.0  and much phenol lose.
: >             thank you for help
: > responds to:
: >        genet at public.sj.he.cn
: Is it not the buffer pH that should be meassured? Think I remember
: correct pH cannot be meassured directly in phenol.
: Stop eq. when buffer pH stays at the pH of choice.

Actually there is a method where you add the phenol to methanol that
works (allows measurement with a pH probe).  I can't recall exactly
what the proportion was though.

Paul