Cetus thermocyclers

sandra kay cooper scooper1 at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 4 15:06:45 EST 1998

Dr Black,

	I would strongly recommend AGAINST purchasing a PE2400.  I just
spent the last year and a half trying to get a refund on our PE2400.  We
had to return our machine 2 times in 2 years, and one of the loaners from
PE had to be returned for repairs (while our original machine was being
repaired).  I was informed by a thermal-cycler repairman (not associated
with PE) that the coolant they used in designing the original machines is
inferior, and over time will "gunk" up.  Also, the gel that they use to
equalize temperatures across the block with "stiffen" over time.  On two
different PE2400s, I set up IDENTICAL reactions in each of the 24 wells
(all reagents were pooled prior to aliquotting).  When I ran products out,
it turned out that only 12 of the wells were usable.  Some of the outside
corners gave no amplification product whatsoever, and other outside wells
gave minimal amplification.  they might be OK for everyday cloning, but Ii
was doing quantitative work.
	This isn't even talking about the lack of service I received from
perkin-elmer and the runaround when I told them their machine was inferior
and I wanted a refund.

	I emphatically recommend an MJ Research machine over Perkin elmer.
Not only are their machines superior, their staff is very helpful.  It is
possible to get a demo machine from them.  The price is comprable to the
PE machines, and they have interchangable blocks, multiple blocks, etc.

Sandra Cooper
University of Illinois