genotyping and Li-Cor

Dr Randal W. Giroux rgiroux at cgc.ca
Thu Nov 5 11:20:54 EST 1998

We have been using Licor for genotyping for the last 6 months and are very
happy with its performance. I do not agree that internal lane standards
provide better accuarcy in base calling if the correct controls and lane
standards are employed. In addition, the Licor has advantages which are not
redily apparent. The high power lazer requires heat venting (a dryer sized
pipe which needs to be vented externally), the plates are $1200 a pair
compared to a couple of hundred bucks for the LiCor plates, the argon laser
will burn out in about 5000 hours (at best 2 years) whith a heafty
replacment cost vs. the 80,000 hour infrared lazer in the LICor. As such, in
terms of operating costs the LiCor system is much cheaper to run and
maintain.
    While the analysis software is good, the database software is a bit
lite. LiCor however has committed lots of resources to software development
and promise their users support in these areas.
    As you can see I'm one satisfied customer.

Dr Randal W. Giroux
Canadian Grain Commission