Uneven growth of lambda phage

Michael Benedik benedik at uh.edu
Fri Nov 6 17:08:23 EST 1998

In article <36431980.2693E486 at sgi.celgen.kuleuven.ac.be>
luc <luc at sgi.celgen.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> make shure  pouring bottom AND top agar on a perfectly leveled table
>
> luc
>
> JOSE LUIS CARRASCO JIMENEZ wrote:
>
> >   Dear colleagues,
> >
> >   I am having problems in plating a lambdaZap library on large
> > plates. Phages only grow on a half-moon section of the plate,
> > but much slower on the other half. Does any of you have
> > any idea about what the reason may be? I am being careful
> > to spread bottom and top agar horizontal.
> >
> >   Any suggestion will be most welcome and appreciated.
> >
> >   With best regards,
> >
> >   Jose
> >
> >   Jose Luis Carrasco
> >   Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas
> >   Camino de Vera, s/n
> >   46022 Valencia
> >   Spain
> >   Email: jlcarrasco at ibmcp.upv.es

This is almost certainly the right answer, that your top agar is not
spreading evenly. If the agar is spreading nicely over the plate, then
the problem is certainly the table top is not even and the top agar is
aggregating at the low end. On the other hand you may not be spreading
your top agar evenly. Be sure you get a nice even layer over the whole
plate.
Michael Benedik
Department of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston                   Tel: 713-743-8377
3201 Cullen Boulevard, HSC 402          Fax: 713-743-8351
Houston, TX 77204-5513              email: benedik at uh.edu