neomycin-G418 confusion

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Nov 9 06:11:50 EST 1998

Hello Michael, hello all!

Sorry, I was wrong. Since G418 normally is only used in
selcetion of transfected eucaryotic because of its high price, I
generalized too much.

Wolfgang

> Almost. G418 is effective against both Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes. It
> was originally found (I think at Schering-Plough) as a standard
> antibacterial anti-biotic. It was an exciting and wonderful new drug...
> until they got to animal studies and all their mice died. Then they
> found it works on both.
>
> kanamycin and neomycin only work well in proks, and are interchangable
> for E.coli work (kanamycin is much cheaper). Other bacteria do better
> with one drug or the other. G418 is just too expensive to use for
> bacteria but it would work fine.

> Michael Benedik
> Department of Biology and Biochemistry
> University of Houston                   Tel: 713-743-8377
> 3201 Cullen Boulevard, HSC 402          Fax: 713-743-8351
> Houston, TX 77204-5513              email: benedik at uh.edu

-----
usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de * wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm