Pfu degrades primer from 5´end??

Geoffrey Kidd gkidd at aptagen.com
Thu Nov 12 20:12:39 EST 1998

Yes, it is possible that your primers have a high content of incompletely
synthesized primers.  The coupling efficiency is usually 98-99% for each
reaction in the synthesis of an oligo, if you're dealing with a good company.
This means that for a 20-mer, only about 67-82% of the product will be
full-length.  Since chemical synthesis occurs in the 3'-5' direction, the
incomplete oligos will be missing the 5' end.  Regarding your observation that
different PCR conditions seem to affect the severity of the problem, this may be
due to the influence of the various PCR conditions on the ability of the shorter
oligos to bind to the template.  Good luck!

Geoffrey Kidd, Ph.D.
Technical Services Manager
Aptagen, Inc.
www.aptagen.com