coomassie vs silverstain

darren at indy.bio.uts.edu.au darren at indy.bio.uts.edu.au
Sat Nov 14 17:56:39 EST 1998

> Which method of gel-staining is the most indiscriminative, so that you
> can rely on the stainingpattern
> as a tool of a quatitative proteinprofile. I have a very different
> staining profile using the two methods of
> an outermembrane preperation. Does anyone have references to this ?

I'm guessing that you see more bands in your silver-stained gel, right?
Neither stain is more discriminating of protein. However, the sensitivity of
silverstaining is far greater than for coomassie- from my experience
silverstaining can show up as little as 2ng of protein, a level that
coomassie would never stain at. Therefore, silverstaining will probably give
you a more complete picture of what proteins are present in your preps, so I
would suggest using silverstaining ahead of coomassie (coomassie is probably
better off being used in situations where you know what bands you expect to
see)