Validaton of RNA integraty

Geoffrey Kidd gkidd at aptagen.com
Mon Nov 16 17:24:38 EST 1998

The rRNA bands are usually good indicators, but rRNA is more resistant to RNases
than the average mRNA due to its high degree of secondary structure, so visible
rRNA bands alone do not necessarily indicate high-quality RNA.  Another thing to
look for is a smear of mRNA extending through and beyond both of the rRNA
bands.  The higher the smear, the better the quality of your mRNA.  If you have
a probe for another mRNA species that you know is detectable, that would make a
good indicator as well.  Good luck!

Geoffrey Kidd, Ph.D.
Technical Services Manager
Aptagen, Inc.