Stop e-mail sales!!!!

Vladimir Svetlov svetlov at
Mon Nov 16 18:34:42 EST 1998

In article <72poqc$69e3 at>, zje8 at (John R. McQuiston) wrote:

> I am getting sick of getting follow up e-mails from companies pushing their
> products (2 from Sigma lately) after I post a note about a competitors
>  This is supposed to be a forum for scientists to exchange ideas not for
> rep.'s to try to sell you stuff.  Especially WHEN I"M NOT THE ONE ASKING FOR
> HELP !!!!!
> If you have a good product you should post a note about it and let
everyone see
> it instead of e-mailing me directly.
> I welcome anyone who wants to e-mail when I am requesting help or have a
> they want to make.  This is one of the best newsgroups for actually
keeping on
> the subject and I hope it stays that way for years to come.

Second that. But even more annoying I find those misguided spammers that
often use this board to peddle all sortsa irrelevant stuff like temps
services, broker firms, X-rated sites (well, it could be relevant but way
too expensive for a postdoc <G>), email advertisement etc. It looks like
these information parasites can not even sort out an email list based on
the Usenet board title. I won't be surprised if these dudes would try to
sell Mein Kampf on soc.culture.jewish with a disclaimer like this "if you
do not wish to receive further email messages about wonderfull and exciting
opportunities involving Neo-Nazism and tiny classified ads send an email
with the words "BYTE ME" in the subject lane to the address below"...

Vladimir Svetlov, PhD
McArdle Lab for Cancer Res.
1400 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706