Stop e-mail sales!!!!

Vladimir Svetlov svetlov at oncology.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 16 18:34:42 EST 1998

In article <72poqc$69e3 at cdc4.cdc.gov>, zje8 at cdc.gov (John R. McQuiston) wrote:

> I am getting sick of getting follow up e-mails from companies pushing their
> products (2 from Sigma lately) after I post a note about a competitors
product.
>  This is supposed to be a forum for scientists to exchange ideas not for
sales
> rep.'s to try to sell you stuff.  Especially WHEN I"M NOT THE ONE ASKING FOR
> HELP !!!!!
>
> If you have a good product you should post a note about it and let
everyone see
> it instead of e-mailing me directly.
> I welcome anyone who wants to e-mail when I am requesting help or have a
point
> they want to make.  This is one of the best newsgroups for actually
keeping on
> the subject and I hope it stays that way for years to come.
>

> SALES REP"S BACK OFF!!!!

Second that. But even more annoying I find those misguided spammers that
often use this board to peddle all sortsa irrelevant stuff like temps
services, broker firms, X-rated sites (well, it could be relevant but way
too expensive for a postdoc <G>), email advertisement etc. It looks like
these information parasites can not even sort out an email list based on
the Usenet board title. I won't be surprised if these dudes would try to
sell Mein Kampf on soc.culture.jewish with a disclaimer like this "if you
do not wish to receive further email messages about wonderfull and exciting
opportunities involving Neo-Nazism and tiny classified ads send an email
with the words "BYTE ME" in the subject lane to the address below"...

Cheers,
V.

--
Vladimir Svetlov, PhD