coomassie vs silverstain

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 16 02:04:09 EST 1998

In article <72l1r7$29h$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, darren at indy.bio.uts.edu.au wrote:

> > Which method of gel-staining is the most indiscriminative, so that you
> > can rely on the stainingpattern
> > as a tool of a quatitative proteinprofile. I have a very different
> > staining profile using the two methods of
> > an outermembrane preperation. Does anyone have references to this ?
> >
> I'm guessing that you see more bands in your silver-stained gel, right?
> Neither stain is more discriminating of protein. However, the sensitivity of
> silverstaining is far greater than for coomassie

[snip]

I certainly agree about the sensitivity of silver compared to
Coomassie but Coomassie binds strongly to SDS while, if I remember
correctly, the silver staining is unaffected by SDS treatment.  If
this is truly the case then proteins that bind more SDS would appear
relatively more intensely stained using Coomassie.
     Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD